Is it possible to get TOO MUCH sleep?

In my Technology class,  we have this thing called “Genius Hour” where we research something. And after a month, we present what we learned.

For my first Genius Hour project, I read a book over the summer called “The Girl In Between” by Laeken Zea Kemp, about a girl who has Klein-Levin Syndrome (KLS). This is a disorder similar to narcolepsy where you sleep for long periods of time, lasting from a few hours to a few years.

I chose to do a presentation on it and learn as much as I could on KLS. If more people are aware of it, we could all work together to find a cure. Even though, it’s not as life threatening as cancer, that would be a big step.

I learned many things, like that it was possible to have an episode (sleep) for 10 years! There are only 1000 people worldwide who are affected, and it only affects people ages 10-20, making the average age 15.

KLS could actually be life threatening. During episodes, KLS patients cannot take care of themselves, because they cannot feed themselves or do everyday activities while they’re sleeping. It’s also very hard to wake up a patient while they’re having an episode.

Here’s my Presentation if you want to check it out: Genius Hour Presentation Doc .

In my next project, I want to do something related to art, because in specific situations, art can be used to spread a message. Also, art can express your creativity.

Thx for reading!

-Z

2 thoughts on “Is it possible to get TOO MUCH sleep?

1. This is really interesting, I really LOVE sleeping, but this just freaked me out a little bit especially because it generally occurs in teens that are close to our age.
    Love how informative this is!
    Fatima

1. Yeah, I agree with you. Sleeping kinda scares after you read about people who lose time because of too much sleep.
      Thx for reading it 😛
      -Z